Skip to main content

On to the next chapter of life

This post is a long time coming... I don't need to give any excuses though, I am a new mommy after all!

After all that baking, my munchkin arrived on 20th September 2013...yes very much on time baby! The first 5 days were extremely stressful as my precious one was under monitoring in NICU, which meant I didn't have the luck of holding him close to me in the first few hours and also a lot of separation due to us being in different rooms...it was certainly difficult. But as far as I recall I didn't cry at all since he was doing great and was perfectly healthy. He confused the doctors with his heart pattern in the first 2 hours of his life and then came back to normal on his own. I strongly believe he didn't take labor process well and certainly not the pushing part... poor little baby.

After we got clearance from all his tests (God is great!) ; we were allowed to take him home. It was a feeling beyond words, a realization of how lucky we all were as a family and with all the support and care we received up to his discharge. I must have thanked God so many times for his blessing. The ride home with him in his fresh car seat was surreal...a dream finally come true! We get to kickstart enjoying parenthood and he gets to come home and be with us, meaning no more NICU pod!! I was happy beyond words....we all were just silently enjoying the ride and hubby asking me every so often, if he was sleeping or looking or moving. He slept peacefully while I watched him with pride and gratitude.

Mom, Hubby and I were so excited that we had so many ideas for his first day home...pics, prayer, see if he likes his crib, finally unpack hospital bags, organize the room while he sleeps and so on. Really, a 5 day old hardly needed anything , other than being fed every so often...The first few days we had such a great time caring for him and hubby had almost a month off before going to work.

We enjoyed his newborn expressions - like drunk on milk, staring at us with amazement, the angelic face when sleeping, faces when we talked to him and most of the big grump when awake but not alert. we named him mr. serious, popeye (because he did the popeye thing a lot). The first few weeks were all about "did you burp him?", "pee/poo", "moro reflex", he was very good about his feeding time, very on the dot, exact 2-3 hour gaps for his re-fill. We were amazed! and I love how everything was an event! Like, the first time his cord fell, it smelled like an infection and we rushed him to the doctor, only for it to fall like 10 minutes later.

Little one hated the swaddle as early as a week old, he was pretty good about sleeping in his crib. He wanted a lot of carrying and so he made sure we were busy. I pulled out the brand new play gym in about 2 weeks (without dad's or grandma's support) and he supported their view by crying when in it.

Mom was around to help out until he was almost 4 months old. That was like God send help.  crazily a full chest of clothes, towels, bibs, baby items all for himself in the first week!!

And his first bath was a BIG event... get the new tub, prep with wash cloth, check the water temperature with the water thermometer, have the best soap available...only to end up in his non-stop crying while in the tub and hating the bath! I must say 18 months later, even today he hates bath time!!

More to follow...(I just realized how much I miss writing!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

has it ever happened to you??

Suddenly I feel there's time in my hands....the following thoughts cross my mind... - that model on the cover looks awesome, how is that so? - if they actually airbrush pictures , then how come there is a good looking category? - i want to see a brand new juice in the market,tired of the same old ones... - i feel like shopping often.its more a thought than action. - i like clothes that some other women wears...i want stuff like those! - how come there is traffic only when i want to drive? - water is good for me, very good....keep drinking..has anyone tried flavored water? - is flavored water as good for health? - how come some advertisements are soooo good? is it just one person or a team? - when everyone is busy how come i have time? - how is it that my phone rings only when i want to sleep or when i am occupied? - why do i get tanned so quickly? - how come technology is always surprising to me? - why didn't i get into sports or music when i was younger? - why is it that some

High expectations, really??

i want to know what is the limit to expect or do we expect nothing at all?! Suddenly, I am wondering if I am so selfish to have asked for the basic things. Today was horribly dull for me, a day i wish hadn't even dawned! Nothing sounded right...There was absolutely no mood to even eat.. Sometimes i wish there was a routine, something to do every single day. Though i have kept myself busy with 2-3 things for a week, sometimes not having anything to do in the morning and waking up just to wonder "what now?" is something i am unable to handle.. i have been told time and again to enjoy this time period but what about it to enjoy? Today I couldn't even bring myself to watch some TV. Just too mad about situation n absolutely despise the helplessness of it. Arrrrghhhhhh! How out of sync can i get!

Annual review

So besides the calendar year, is the birth anniversary....hence as I add on to my age tomorrow, here's an attempt to recollect how the past year has gone. -Loads of shopping -Fun with Bangalore and Dubai friends -The WEDDING itself : laughs and tears -Landed in USA -Boredom overwhelms on weekdays -San Francisco visit -17 mile drive -Joined aerobics -Lake Tahoe visit : first ever parasailing,jet skiing -Trip to Las Vegas -Visited Santa Barbara and Solvang -Finally completed my case study -Joined ICC as a volunteer -A California Driver License earned -Trip to Los Angeles and San Diego -New year party at a club ,first ever -Yet another assignment completed -Joined dance classes -Hubby's business trip -A small time course taken up -A new dance class And in the meanwhile -Home sickness -Earned some good friends -Painful paper problems -Potluck dinners -Mixed thoughts about this place -Learnt some decent cooking -Few physical issues -Grasping the local laws -Relocation : its thrill a